Edward J. Smith III
250 South Clinton Street
Syracuse, New York 13202
- Boston University School of Law, J.D. 1990, recipient of American Jurisprudence Award in Products Liability
- St. Lawrence University, B.A. Cum Laude in Government, 1986
Admitted to Practice
- Admitted to practice before all Courts of the State of New York and the U.S. District Courts for the Western, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of New York
- Onondaga County Bar Association, Board of Directors, Assigned Counsel Program
- New York State Bar Association (Torts, Insurance and Compensation Law Section)
- Defense Research Institute (Product Liability Committee)
- American Association for Justice (Products Liability Section)
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- National Propane Gas Association
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
- The American Indoor Air Quality Council
Mr. Smith joined Smith, Sovik, Kendrick & Sugnet, P.C., as a partner in January 2008. Prior to joining Smith Sovik, he was a partner at the prestigious Syracuse law firm of Hancock & Estabrook, LLP. He brings to Smith Sovik eighteen years of trial experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in civil lawsuits involving personal injuries caused by defective products, fire and propane explosions, motor vehicle accidents, negligent roadway design and maintenance, construction and work place accidents and liability claims involving municipalities.
Mr. Smith has extensive experience in handling complex commercial cases involving shareholder disputes, debt instruments, contract disputes, insurance claims, labor and employment, intellectual property and trade secret litigation.
Mr. Smith also has considerable experience with indoor air and environmental litigation, representing individuals, insurance companies and property owners on mold-related issues. He is a frequent lecturer and author on the subject of mold litigation - prosecuting and defending mold related personal injury and property damage claims since 1995.
At Smith Sovik, his practice focuses on civil litigation, more particularly the defense of personal injury lawsuits involving medical malpractice, product liability, motor vehicle accidents, construction and labor law, toxic tort and premises liability.
Back to Attorney List